Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Could Be Worse

Jack Benny once said: 
I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either.
Sometimes, things happen to us that we don't deserve. And for most of us, in the midst of it, we wonder why it is happening to us and think absolutely nothing could be worse. I even feel this way sometimes. And, then, Oh No! You find out how you were wrong! It can always be worse! Hopefully, you find out empathetically rather than it actually happening to you.
It usually makes good sense to try to put everything into perspective. Or, see circumstances relative to what other people are going through. You know the old adage: what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger. Well, there you have it! Other people may die by what you are going through, so, lucky you! You have been made stronger!
The only problem is, new things happen to us and we are only as good as our ability to eventually see past it. I have had situations in the past that really stressed me out. I hoped that one day, I would not be as stressed out when similar occurences happened in the future. And, for the most part, I believe I have mellowed a bit and don't react as strongly to adversity as I did in the past. That is one of the few great things about getting older and wiser. You actually see that things could be worse, so you don't react as strongly.
Make it a point to try and see past trials and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Because, it is always there, but it may just be a long tunnel.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment